The Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology Program, is one of the programs offered in the school of Social Sciences of Bugema University. This program focuses on teaching, training and exposing our students to research and intervention approaches in the field of Counselling and Psychology. The program aims at training students for excellence in service and professionalism when handling clients in today’s highly competitive global environment. In principle the program equips the counsellor with knowledge and skills to use in helping people in their consultation and engagement to understand themselves better hence enabling the clients to live better and meaningful lives. In accordance to the mission of the University, a holistic approach to education and scholarly approach is given. Students will engage in research, training and practical engagements in the course of their studies.
The general objective of the program is to produce professional Counselling psychologists who are capable of handling diverse psycho social issues or problems as they arise.
- Equip students with knowledge and skills needed to function as effective Counselling Psychologists.
- Equip students with self-awareness mechanisms to enable them make rational, realistic, and independent decisions.
- Engage students in research on psycho social issues and consultancy.
- Engage students in practical situations of psycho social interventions.
- Equip students with the capacity to plan, manage and provide leadership in the mental health sector.
By the end of the program the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate practical and theoretical competence in handling clients and pertinent issues in their community and environment at large.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate scientific methods of research in the field of Counselling Psychology.
- Demonstrate knowledge and self-awareness and others as shaped by cultural diversity and individual differences.
- Demonstrate Competence in diagnosis and application of intervention procedures for individual cases.
- Practice Professional and ethical standards by the students in the field.
- Career progress and growth of the respective student of Counselling psychology.