In the year 2007, the Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) together with the Germany Academic Exchange services (DAAD) organized a workshop in Germany to deal with Quality Assurance issues among institutions of higher learning in East Africa. Bugema University was among the Universities that took part in this workshop.
In 2008, Bugema University underscored its determination to overhaul itself and review its programs and operations with a view of improving efficiency, relevancy and effectiveness by fully adapting the “Roadmap to Quality Assurance.”
Since then, the University has been involved in a number of Quality Assurance practices. For instance, the University put in place a Quality Assurance office under the directorship of the Quality Assurance Director. The University also designed a Quality Assurance policy which guides its operations. BU maintains the adaptability and flexibility of Quality Assurance in response to the changing circumstances. This dovetails well with our vision, mission, philosophy and objectives of the University.
In line with the University and Other Tertiary Institutions Acts (UOTIA) 2001 and amendment 2006, which requires institutions of higher learning to ensure that their standards conform to the standards set by the National Council of Higher Education, BU through this policy instrument shall take positive and proactive steps to ensure that quality of teaching and learning, research and community outreach are achieved.
Quality Assurance Objectives
1. To continuously improve the Quality Assurance System through reviews, programme assessments, streamlining and modernizing of the quality assurance function, policies, procedures, and their supporting protocols.
2. To ensure that the quality of academic programs at Bugema University meets the standards expected by all the stakeholders.
3. To provide guidance in identifying internal and external standards and criteria consistent with internationally recognized standards.
4. To provide guidance in development and implementation of internal and external quality assurance procedures and practices.
5. To ensure that graduates of Bugema University attain skills and the knowledge proficiency required through the academic programs that are offered.
6. To enable Bugema University to assure itself, its stakeholders and the regulatory bodies such as the National Council for Higher Education, the Adventist Accrediting Association, etc., that the University’s policies, systems, and processes for development, maintenance, and enhancement of quality in all provisions are functioning effectively.
7. To facilitate the development of a culture of continuous quality improvement to achieve academic excellence.
8. Through the University organs to strengthen the independent role played by the Quality Assurance office in quality management and enhancement.
9. To ensure effective performance of staff and students.
10. To improve the university’s environment in order to attract and retain staff and students.
11. To harmonize various quality assurance aspects/activities within Bugema University.
12. To strengthen ties with regional, national and international Quality Assurance agencies and Universities.
13. Establish, maintain and monitor regular and effective processes of evaluation and review to ensure that curricula, course materials and teaching practices are accessible to all students, relevant and informed by appropriate research, professional practices and student, graduate and employer feedback
14. Establish processes and budget mechanisms to enhance teaching skills through professional development for new and continuing academic staff, to recognize and reward school, group and individual practices that foster excellence in learning and teaching and to encourage initiatives that will improve learning outcomes for students
15. Increase the accessibility and flexibility of our educational programs by establishing simple and coherent degree structures; providing flexible study pathways; developing further our capabilities in online delivery and support; and pursuing opportunities for the collaborative or cooperative delivery of programs and courses within Uganda and abroad
16. Identify opportunities and pursue growth targets in appropriate disciplines, programs and student cohorts, recognizing the importance of utilizing alternative revenue streams
17. Conduct a study of the feasibility of creating an independent corporate entity to deliver educational products
18. Develop an international focus to the content and attitudes of the education we offer our students, by identifying and implementing best practice examples of internationalization of curriculum and delivery; by increasing opportunities for students from diverse backgrounds to research and study at universities overseas; and by actively valuing the cultural diversity of our student profile
19. Enhance community perceptions of the quality of our teaching and programs by actively promoting the educational achievements of our students, staff and graduates; by emphasizing the distinctive, research-led quality of the learning experiences we offer; and by effective engagement with national and international regulatory bodies concerned with learning, teaching and quality assurance.
20. To ensure the integrity of the academic awards of Bugema university
21.To continually improve quality of community services programs offered by Bugema university
22. To develop and refine internal quality assurance and enhancement mechanisms that are appropriate and to apply such mechanisms systematically across all programs offered by the university services provided to students and staff; and
23. To develop and sustain a culture of quality seeking and quality assurance among members on Bugema university community.